Fully Coached week - Southern Crete - 3 Stars & Leadership training with owen burson
13th to 19th May 2018
Sea Kayaking in Greece - Coached Sea Expedition.
We will fly to Chania in Crete and spend one night in this beautiful town enjoying the tavernas. The following day we will make our way to Paliochora where we will pick up the kayaks and start our journey.
Owen Burson, who is a senior coach, will be leading the paddle. You can find out more about him here. The purpose of this week is to develop the skills of the group. The participants will be working on areas such as:
Ideal for people training towards their 3 Stars BCU award and those preparing for the Sea Kayak Leader Award. There will be ample opportunity to develop your paddling and leadership skills as well as practise coached rolling techniques.
YOU WILL LEARN EXPEDITION SKILLS SUCH AS:
- Planning and packing for a sea kayak camping holiday/expedition
- Packing a sea kayak for trim
- Camping from a sea kayak
- Planning, shopping and preparing your meals
- Making and taking down camp
- Daily navigation planning
- Understanding weather forecasts and its effects on the environment
- Edging & turning effectively
- Paddling in moderate conditions
- Paddling in wind
- Using a bearing
- Paddling as part of a group
- We will do afternoon practice on rolling, assisted rescues, self-rescues and towing
- Day trip planning
- Organising group on land
- Opportunities to lead the group under Owen's supervision
- Opportunity to learn about sea, land and weather interaction in a mountainous coast line
- Depending on weather conditions there might be opportunities to do some incident management and more advanced paddling skills.
The southern coast of Crete is unspoilt and the sea is of a deep purple blue against the desert coloured mountains. We will be paddling along a coast that can be a bit wild and can have strong winds. It is ideal 3 star environment.
We will be wild camping and there will be some tavernas open along our way. You will need to bring your own camping equipment as well as your food.
PRICE: £785 WITH £250 DEPOSIT ON BOOKING.
- Two nights accommodation in Chania
- Kayak, paddle, spray deck & BA
WHAT'S not INCLUDED:
- Your flights
- Food & drink
To book or to ask any questions, mail firstname.lastname@example.org
PADDLE 4 CHANGE
As part of our program you can join us in picking plastic from the sea and the beaches. We will carry bags to collect litter from the sea and we will clean the beaches where we land if there is plastic in them. We take this litter with us until we can dispose of it safely. It is very interesting to see what components there are in the litter as maybe we can help reduce the plastic tide by avoiding the use of some of these objects.
Arrival day 13th May: Meet in Chania (possibly the airport if everyone is flying together). Share taxis to Chania Town to our hotel. Walk in the town and pick a nice taverna to have dinner.
14th May: Travel to Paliochora on the south of the island.
15th to 18th May: Get the kayaks, pack them and start the paddle. The exact route and stopping points will be determined by the weather.
19th of May: We will finish the paddle in Sfakia, take the bus to the airport and fly back home.